Homemade bird treats can be a fun and healthy way to provide your feathered friends with some extra nutrition and variety in their diet. Here is a simple recipe for a bird treat that you can make at home:
- 1 cup of birdseed (you can use a mix of seeds such as millet, sunflower, safflower, and/or peanuts)
- 1/4 cup of honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of peanut butter or almond butter
- Optional: chopped nuts, dried fruit, or shredded coconut for added flavor and texture
- In a mixing bowl, combine the birdseed, honey or maple syrup, and peanut or almond butter. Mix well until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Add in any optional ingredients such as chopped nuts, dried fruit, or shredded coconut and mix again.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper. Using your hands or a spoon, shape the birdseed mixture into small balls or shapes and place them onto the lined baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to allow the treats to set.
- Once the treats are firm, they are ready to serve to your birds! You can hang them in a bird feeder or place them on a bird tray for easy access.
Note: Make sure to use natural peanut or almond butter without added sugar or salt. Also, avoid using chocolate or sweeteners like xylitol, which can be harmful to birds.