Bird Protectors are TOXIC
We are here to make sure that you know what is good and bad for your best friend! I had a client upset that they could not find these anywhere. I looked up the ingredients and was immediately concerned. I kept digging and I found this from a Veterinarian. The requests of reviewing these products is the opinion of the Veterinarian and not The Pet Domain. Please read to keep your best friend safe! And check back @ http://ThePetDomain.net for more!
Please do NOT use these in your bird’s cage.
Avian Medical Case of the Day: Do you know what these are? I saw something I had never seen in 28.5 years of avian veterinary practice the other day! A poor little sick budgie had SIX OF THESE CONTAINERS OF POISON ON HIS CAGE, AND THE CAGE WAS KEPT MOSTLY COVERED SO HE WAS TRAPPED WITH THESE FUMES!!! “Bird Protectors” are a completely outdated waste of money that are supposed to get rid of parasites, but can actually put your bird in danger! They contain 50% Paradichlorobenzene. Mothballs in the U.S. contain very high concentrations of either naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene as active ingredients. They are meant to be used in closed, airtight containers so that the fumes they produce are trapped to kill moths. Mothballs can harm people, pets, or wildlife that may touch or eat the mothballs, or breathe their vapors. We aren’t sure, but this may be why the poor little bird was sick. The “Bird Protectors” were removed from the cage, and other tests and treatments were performed to see if we can save the poor little fluffed up baby. Save your money and your bird, do not purchase these, or the Mite and Lice Sprays sold at pet stores or on Amazon or other sites, because parasites are very rare on birds that don’t go outside. In fact, if you have some spare time, please go to the websites for the big pet stores and Amazon and leave negative reviews, as these products contain great ratings from people who don’t know any better!